April 20th, 2020
Here is a summary of an order the Texas Supreme Court issued April 9, 2020, that may provide relief for many consumers in Texas facing debt collection and lawsuits on debts. This order lasts through the month of April.
- Writs of garnishment may issue but not be served until after May 7, 2020
- Receivers may remain active but must not freeze accounts at financial institutions while the Order remains in effect
- Encourages swift resolution of existing garnishments
- Prohibits hearings on default judgments until April 30
- Prohibits dismissal of cases for want of prosecution while the Order is in effect
- Allows a case to proceed if the creditor can demonstrate the immediate threat of fraudulent concealment or absconding with funds.